Under the Sun

About Us

Mary, Joyce and Peg
Joyce, Peggy, Jane, Kathy, Mary, Gwen & Zoe
store interior
store interior
Joyce Stratton opened Under the Sun in 1975. The gift shop is located in the former Wood Hole Congregational Church built in the late 1800's. It began as a consignment shop that included the works of many artists & craftspeople from Cape Cod. In 1995 after extensive remodeling the business expanded to carry a wide variety of pottery, art prints, jewelry, shoes, clothing & accessories. This has allowed the shop to grow into the elegant & exciting gallery/gift shop it is today as it continues to maintain its theme around sea life & nature.

About Woods Hole

Woods Hole, one of Falmouths eight villages, was incorporated in 1686. The name comes from the channel (or hole) between Penzance Point and Nonamesset Island. Bartholomew Gosnold charted this area in 1602. Early settlers farmed, raised sheep, and fished. From 1863 to 1897, the Pacific Guano Company had a booming fertilizer business on Long Neck (later renamed Penzance Point). This area later became a haven for the rich, coined "Bankers Row" in historic accounts. During whaling days, candles were made from spermaceti in the historic Candle House on Water Street.

Three world-renowned scientific organizations are based in Woods Hole: Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution's Bob Ballard discovered the Titanic's resting place. Their tiny deep-water research vessel, Alvin, has become famous for various oceanographic discoveries. The Marine Biological Laboratory is known for its research on marine organisms, and the National Marine Fisheries, a federal agency, maintains a small aquarium with a hands-on exhibit. The U.S. Coast Guard, Group Woods Hole, has been here since 1857. Among other things, they operate and maintain the well-known Nobska Lighthouse overlooking Vineyard Sound. Woods Hole is also home to the Martha's Vineyard Steamship Authority, which operates ferries to and from Martha's Vineyard.
Contact Information